Ontonagon County offers some amazing camping opportunities! Please use the following reference when planning your next camping trip in the beautiful UP.
Area Code 906
|# of Camp Sites||# of Picnic Sites||Facilities||Facilities Key|
|1. Bruce Crossing Park
Stannard Twp 827-3778
Dick Polkky 827-3329
|13||6||D, PT, E, P, G(N)|| A Agate Beach
BA Boat Access
C Canoe Access
CT Cable TV
D Drinking Water
+ Lake Superior
E Electric Hook-ups
FT Flush Toilets
FP Fire Pits
H Hiking or Interpretive Trail
HS Historic Site
HCP Handicap Accessible
(N) Nearby (within 2 mi.)
PT Pit Toilets
PP Prehistoric Pits/or Mines
PS Picnic Shelter
PB Picnic Tables
R Recreation Room
S Sanitation Station
SB Shower Building
SH Sewer Hook-up
SW Swimming/No Lifeguard
TC Tennis Courts
TO Tents only
Y Year-Round Camping
|2. Bergland Township Park
Louis Paulman 575-3932
|15||40||SW, SB, D, S, F, PT, E, P|
|3. Ontonagon County Park on Lake Gogebic
Co. Clerk 884-4255
S. Smith 575-3952
|43||15||D, SW, BA, F, PT, E, P|
|4. Lake Gogebic State Park & Campground||165||200||D, SW, BA, F, FT, SB, S, E, P, H|
|5. Bond Lake Camping 827-3235
Bond Falls Flowage
|36||36||D, SW, BA, F, C, PT, H, W|
|6. Presque Isle Campground*||88||12||D, SW+, PT, H, W, A, F, PS|
|7. State Outpost Campgrounds*||16||X||F, PT, H, W|
|8. Union Bay Campground*||99||X||A, BA, +, D, E, FT, F, H, P, S, SW, T, SB, HCP, W|
|9. Ontonagon Twp Campground
884-2930 or 884-9952
|56||40||D(35), SW, +, F(N), PT, S, E(40), P, TC(N)|
|10. Robbins Pond Park Campground**||3||X||D, F, HS|
|11. Bob Lake**
Ontonagon Ranger District 884-2411
|17||9||D, SW, BA, F, H, PT|
|12. Courtney Lake**
Ontonagon Ranger District 884-2411
|21||15||D, SW, BA, F, PT|
|13. Sunshine Motel & Cabins & Campground
884-2187 or 888-988-2187***
|15||X||TO, PB, PT, FP|
|14. River Road RV Park &
|30||X||CT, SB, FT, BA, E, SH, S, Y|
|15. Union River “Big Bear”
|50||X||A, D, +, E, FT, FP, F, H, S, SB, SW|
*Located in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, administered by the DNR.
1. BRUCE CROSSING PARK – On east side of US-45, a short distance north of junction of US-45 and M-28.
2. BERGLAND TOWNSHIP PARK – South of M-28 in Bergland. Go straight (south) at junction of M-28 and M-64 at Bergland, about 3-4 blocks.
3. ONTONAGON COUNTY PARK ON LAKE GOGEBIC – South of Merriweather on M-64 or north of Marenisco, on the west shore of Lake Gogebic.
4. LAKE GOGEBIC STATE PARK – North of US-2 on M-64 or south of Merriweather on M-64, on the west shore of Lake Gogebic.
5. BOND LAKE CAMPING – 5 miles east of Paulding, which is on US-45 between Bruce Crossing and Watersmeet.
6. PRESQUE ISLE CAMPGROUND – Take M-107 from M-64 at Silver City to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Turn left on South Boundary Road. Go 25 miles, turn right (north) at
7. STATE OUTPOST CAMPGROUNDS – Inquire at the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park Headquarters.
8. UNION BAY CAMPGROUND – 17 miles west of Ontonagon on M-107 in State Park.
9. ONTONAGON TOWNSHIP CAMPGROUND – Northeast of Ontonagon on the Lakeshore Road along Lake Superior. (Turn north at mBank and follow Houghton Street – 2 miles.)
10. ROBBINS POND – West of Paulding (US-45). Take Forestry Road 527 to Forestry Road 181.
11. BOB LAKE – On Forest Road 1478. Go south on Forest Highway 16 from M38, turn right (west) onto Forest Road 193 to Forest Road 206. Turn left (south) till the road forks; go left to Bob Lake.
12. COURTNEY LAKE – On Forest Road 1960. Take Courtney Lake Road (Forest Road 203) south from M-38 (Houghton County).
13. SUNSHINE MOTEL AND CABINS AND CAMPGROUND – On M-64 three miles west of Ontonagon.
14. RIVER ROAD RV PARK AND CAMPGROUND – 600 River Road, Ontonagon. Twenty minutes from Porcupine Mountains. From the junction of US-45 and M-64, drive west 0.5 miles on M-64 to River Road, then turn south (right) and drive 0.5 miles.
15. UNION RIVER “BIG BEAR” CAMPGROUND – 35653 107th Engineers Memorial Highway, Silver City. Located 15 miles west of Ontonagon and 2 miles west of Silver City at the base of the beautiful Porcupine Mountains, by the sandy shore of Lake Superior. Watch for the big carved bear on the left!
Horseback riding is allowed on all Ottawa National Forest system roads, with riding suggestions available at local offices. Camping with horses allowed on all Ottawa National Forest Lands (unless posted otherwise). All compostable materials must be scattered. Horse camping NOT allowed in developed campgrounds.
For information, please call the Ontonagon County Chamber office at 906-884-4735 or e-mail us.