A ‘Walking Vacation’… What is it and how does it work?
Thanks for asking ☺ Let’s talk about the Village of Ontonagon, shall we?
The Village of Ontonagon is rather quaint but with tons of items you could mark off your vacation to-do list. The Village has several lodging locations to peruse; ranging from camping, to hotel/motels, to AirBnb’s; and from 2 guests or up to 10-15+ guests. From these lodging locations in the village, you can walk to so many spots including recreation, restaurants, museums, shops…
THIS is a walking vacation! You can save gas money with everything you’ll need to see/do/buy, right here within walking distance of your lodging location. Come enjoy our quaint village, enjoy our slow-paced environment, make some memories.
- Our public beaches are accessible from right here in the village. You can enjoy walking the beach morning, noon, or night. Rock hunting, driftwood hunting, cookout on a campfire, swimming, kayaking.
- We have several restaurant/food establishments along our main street as well as coffee and ice cream shops and quite a few friendly adult beverage locations.
- Our Ontonagon Museum is also right along our main street. Take a history tour through the museum, check out their fabulous gift shop, and you can even schedule a Lighthouse tour.
- The Ontonagon River also runs near the main street. Along Island Road is the Rose Island parks and you can choose several locations along the pier to set up and enjoy some fishing.
- Crossing the Ontonagon River by walking path will take you over to the Ontonagon Marina where there may be some charter boats available to take you out on the big lake for some fishing. Or look into renting a pontoon, kayak or canoe from right here in the village.
- We have a library within walking distance you can enjoy as well as the Ontonagon Theater of Performing Arts. If you’d like to take in a show, check their calendar and make sure to plan your trip for the time frame of the show you want to see.
- Did someone say shopping? Yes, please! Within walking distance you will find many souvenir shops, gifts shops, rock shops, handmade jewelry, apparel shops. Many shops carry one of a kind items that you won’t be able to live without, trust me.
With all the excitement in this little village of ours; what are you waiting for? Contact the Ontonagon Chamber of Commerce for all the info you’ll need to plan the perfect laid-back get-a-way!
See you soon!!